Monday, March 14, 2005

IWD

Spent most of the day at the Blue Nile club down in the Faubourg Marigny, for the local celebration of International Women's Day.

Which was, of course, March 8. Odd interpersonal politics demanded that the New Orleans version happen on the 13th, however...

I was there to support M-----, who was reading some wonderful poetry written by Chinese Buddhist nuns, and to help with the powerpoint slideshow she created.

I helped a bit with that, including a nice slide about Hedy Lamarr, featuring this stunning picture. It's possible to create spread-spectrum radio, and look absolutely fabulous doing it!

I also contributed info for slides about women who were profoundly important to math and physics, areas which even still are stereotypically male.

It's a nice slideshow. Let me know if you'd like a copy.

Was given a marvelous button, "Feminist Chicks Dig Me" by Crystal.

I was there as "techy guy" even though when the laptop computer had problems, I was not able to discern a computer port into which my penis would fit. I was, however, able to get the damn thing working again when it decided to lock up. Win XP sucks, and is entirely too "helpful".

"I myself have never been able to find out what feminism is; I only know that people call me a feminist whenever I express sentiments that differentiate me from a doormat.”
--Rebecca West, speaking in 1913

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home