Saturday, April 16, 2005

One answer to a long-standing question

Recently author John Scalzi asked for reader requests of blogging topics.

I chimed in with my perennial favorite, a question that's been bothering me for years and for which I have yet to hear a satisfactory answer, "Why do so many people suck?"

It sounds glib, but it's actually one of the more important questions I'd like to see addressed about humanity. Think about it. Really.

Didn't expect to hear an answer, as most people seem to chuckle at first. Then pause. And then after a bit say something like, "I don't know..." and assume a puzzled and troubled expression. And then change the subject.

John actually bothered to give a real answer. Cool.

Not necessarily a satisfying answer, mind you, and certainly not a comforting one, but I'm not sure either of those are possible. But, he did give an answer which included the only possible solution to the question I've ever seen:

How do we "...
create a society where sucking is not actually the path of least resistance..."?

Excellent question!

I'll be pondering this and post any answers I come up with... how 'bout you?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home